Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lactation Consultants are wonderful people!

October 19th, 2010

One of the most difficult aspects of being a new mom has been nursing.  I guess that while I knew it could be difficult, I didn't realize how difficult it could be.  It took hours to feed him...okay I am exaggerating, but not by much...an hour and a half was by no means uncommon.  When he was supposed to eat every 3 hours, this meant half of our day was spent trying to get him to eat.  We spent most of the time trying to keep him from falling asleep / wake him back up.  While all babies lose weight after their birth, Nolan had lost a bit too much.  Frankly, part of me wanted to give up, but I knew that nursing was one of the best things that I could do for him.  The pediatrician recommended that I call the lactation consultant, Jane, at the hospital.  Jane is amazing!  She is so knowledgeable and offered solutions that actually work!  I left feeling empowered to make sure that my son got the nutrition that he needs to grow strong.  Before I left Jane said, "the rule here is no one leaves without getting a hug."  I truly felt cared for by her.  She even promised to check in with me in a week to see how things are going. 

Now that we are home and trying the suggestions that Jane gave us things are going better.  I do have to admit that it was easier with her than on my own (Nick is at work), but things are definitely going better.  Each feeding goes a bit smoother than the one before.  I recommend that every new mom make an appointment with Jane at Fairview Ridges. 


We're finally putting on some weight!


No comments: